Todo-Mods

[ALBUM] Josh Milan Presents Honeycomb Music Volume 1 (2011)

OSH Recommended Tracks, EPs, Albums... From Then & Now
Administrador
NotaPublicado: 08 Jul 2011, 23:48
Imagen

Artist: Josh Milan (& V.A.)
Title: Honeycomb Music Volume 1
Label: Honeycomb Music
Ref.: HCM 1004-2
Date of Release: 30 October, 2011

Tracklist:

CD1
01Josh Milan - Introduction
02T'zelle - Kipepeo
03Angela Johnson - Forever I Do
04Crystal Johnson - Who Am I
05Cinnamon Brown - Under The Moonlight
06Sandra St Victor - Yourself
07Dawn Tallman - GOD
CD2
01Lamone - Your Eyes
02Cassio Ware - Wake Up
03Sandra St Victor - I Am Better
04Honey Sweet - Raul Rosario, We Miss You
05The Alexis P Suter Band - Hole That I'm In
06Chinahblac -Till You Go Home

Legendary producer/songwriter Josh Milan (from the soulful supergroup Blaze) reveals his brand new Honeycomb Music project with the release of a fantastic double album dripping with soulful gems on his very own label! ‘Honeycomb Music Volume 1’, recorded in Josh’s own home, is dedicated to putting the real instrumentation and genuine heart felt soul back into dance music, Josh culls in a combination of amazing soulful pioneers and brand new upcoming talent to feature on the album alongside his fantastic band, touching every aspect of soul music in the process. The result of 2.5 year labour of love is a stunning collection of heartfelt songs and a lush tapestry of true dancefloor soul.

“The artists on this project all have a lot to offer. To really make a statement I thought it would be better to put a group of talented people together. This way the music is way more colourful. This project is a feel good project so as you’re listening I hope you’re feeling good”. says Josh Milan.

Kicking off with an interesting spoken introduction from Josh himself which poses food for thought, featured on the album are lots friends including Cassio Ware on ‘Wake Up’ who Josh has known for ‘over 20 years; THE Queen of Gospel, Dawn Tallman on ‘GOD’, who performed most of the backing vocals on the album and who Josh cooks fried chicken for everytime she comes over to record. Another big hitter is the legendary lead singer of genre slashing cult band, The Family Stand, Sandra St Victor, who appears on ‘I Am Better’ & the Brainstorm 70’s funk band inspired ‘Yourself’. Also making an appearance are the distinct thunderous voice of Brooklyn’s Alex P Suter and her band on ‘Hole That I’m In’; multitalented artist, soulful veteran and Brooklyn urban socialite, Crystal Johnson on ‘Who Am I’; one of Nu-Soul’s best loved New York diva’s, Angela Johnson on ‘Forever I Do’; Bronx born, Quincy Jones’ label mate T’Zelle on ‘Kipepeo’; the trail-blazin soulja of soul also from Connecticut, Lamone on ‘Your Eyes’; and of course not forgetting the unmistakeable voice of woman behind the recent soulful smash ‘Till You Go Home’, Chinahblac.

New talent hails from New York City by way of Miss Cinnamon Brown, (who possibly has the best disco name ever!) who debuts on the fantastic house groove ‘Under The Moonlight’, along with another new discovery from Josh and also making their debut, Brooklyn’s worldly rhythm inspired band Honey Sweet on ‘Raul Rosario, We Miss You’. All penned by Josh along with co-writes with Angela, Crystal, Lamon and Cassio, ‘Honeycomb Music Volume 1’ started with Josh and his beloved keyboard after which his band members Jerard Snell (Drummer) and Leighton Rambaran (Bass) joined in the fun, along with a number of musicians from around the globe who were invited to put their own stank on the music.

Josh Milan is one of those rare artists in this business whose music is truly timeless. You can play his remix (along with then co-producer Kevin Hedge) of Cold Cut featuring Lisa Stansfield’s pop dance hit, ‘People Hold On’, today and it still sounds as fresh as it did 16 years ago, or Blaze's, ‘Can't Win for Losing’, you'll find lyrics that are forever relevant. His catalogue totals over two-hundred published works, making it the largest catalog produced by any single entity in the genre. As artist and businessman, Josh has been involved in almost every facet of the music business, from producing and performing to managing and distributing music, not many can come close to the artistry and business of Josh Milan.

Blaze (Josh Milan, Kevin Hedge and Chris Herbert) started writing music together in 1984. The three decided to form a production team after Chris made an introduction and encouraged them to become a recording group with a focus on good songs. "Songs have always been our main production focus." Josh Milan explains. "It’s the lyrics and melodies of our musical heroes that have influenced us the most." Josh has influences that range from Stevie Wonder to James Taylor and beyond. But it’s the combination of deeply soulful melodies, his blend of Afro, Jazz, Soul and Gospel, and the positive world views in their lyrics that makes most people compare his music to the legendary Earth, Wind & Fire.

Josh started to develop demo recordings in the style of the day’s popular club music. As a result the guys turned out song after song for other artists and producers to record. Some included ‘This Time’ by Colonel Abrams knock off Hunter Hayes, ‘One Man’ by Chanelle and ‘Reachin’ by Phase II. The three signed their first record deal with Quark records in 1985, producing three major club hits of the time; ‘Whatcha Gonna Do’, ‘If You Should Need A Friend’ and ‘Can't Win For Losing’. The Blaze sound caught the ear of then Motown Vice-president of A&R, Timmy Regisford, who immediately put them to work on numerous Motown projects as their sound captured the spirit of dancers in the clubs and the hearts of radio listeners in New York. As remixers they have worked on projects for Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin, Macy Gray, Jamiroquai, Lisa Stansfield, Babyface, and countless others. As overdub musicians, they have worked with DJ/producers David Morales, Frankie Knuckles, Timmy Regisford, Masters At Work among many.

Blaze went on to produce three more albums - ‘Basic Blaze’ onSlip-n-Slide/UK, ‘Natural Blaze: The James Toney Jr. Project’ on Life Line/Japan and ‘Spiritually Speaking’ on Slip-n-Slide/UK. Also, you will find many compilation albums that comprise some of his greatest hits, a few are: "6 Hubert St." on Avex/Japan, "Pure Blaze" on Easy Street/US, ‘Blaze Productions" on Playhouse/Germany and ‘Spiritually Speaking . . .Then and Now’ on West End/US. In 1995, Josh scored his biggest co-writing success with a song called ‘Hideaway’ performed by De'lacy reaching top 10 in the uk charts, Josh also co-wrote charts hits for Amira ‘Desire’ and himself with the #1 dance hit, ‘Breathe’. This helped him to become one of the most sought after writers, producers and remixers in the business. Musically, Josh has collaborated with super DJ/Producer Louie Vega (one half of the production team Masters at Work) to assist him with producing his first solo album, ‘Elements Of Life’. In addition he has made many guest appearances as vocalist for artist such as Yukihiro Fukutomi, Louie Vega, and Chieko Kinbara to name a small few. Josh's artistry takes on many turns. He is a Jazz music collector, a photographer and a painter.

Finally, after 25 years on the scene and celebrating 20 years of writing and producing, Josh Milan is a talent force to be reckoned with! Armed with a brand new label, and a plethora of talent at his fingertips he is just as current as he was then, producing relevant hits today as he did back in 1985.

Aún solo tenemos la noticia del que sera un álbum muy interesante de la mano del 50% de Blaze, cuando vaya obteniendo más info y pre-escuchas ire actualizando el hilo. Esperaremos a ese lanzamiento anunciado para septiembre con ganas, parece que el camino en solitario de Josh Millan esta dando muy buenos frutos, esperamos que siga así por mucho tiempo...
Imagen Imagen
Administrador
NotaPublicado: 01 Oct 2011, 16:54
Parece que se retrasa el esperado lanzamiento de éste disco, y de el 5 de septiembre que era la primera fecha que teníamos de lanzamiento, ahora parce que finalmente se lanzará el doble CD para el 30 de octubre.

Ya existen preecuchas, por lo que he actualizado el post inicial para que podais echarle un ojo y ver que pinta tiene. Para mí ya se ha convertido en el disco del año, deseando tener ese doble en mi poder.

Gracias Josh por seguir esta línea que como ya decía ántes esta dando muy buenos frutos. :a06:
Imagen Imagen
Moderador
NotaPublicado: 14 Nov 2011, 20:28
LO TENGO, LO TENGO!!!! puedo abrirlo, tocarlo, acariciar los cds :a01: :a01:

Un disco básico, de lo mejorcito que ha salido en este año (y en unos cuantos), el mejor house, inundado de toques soul, disco, de grandes voces y unos backgrounds de gran nivel que ya echaba de menos desde hace tiempo. El único pero que le pondría es que a los grandes temas vocales que tiene, les faltan algún que otro solo que pondría la guinda, pero bueno...es un pero pequeñito, conociéndo un poco la música de Blaze (Josh Milan, en este caso) que no se caracterizaba por grandes solos sino más bien por temas con un feeling acongojante y pegadizo.

Aunque me gustan todas (ojito con la voz de Sandra St. Victor), por lo que me tira, me quedo con estos temas:
- Angela Johnson - Forever I Do
- Cinnamon Brown - Under The Moonlight
- Crystal Johnson - Who Am I (más antiguo, pero estupendo también)
- Lamone - Your Eyes
- Sandra St. Victor - Yourself
- Dawn Tallman - GOD

Lo dicho, suena como de otros tiempos. Tiempos mejores, que espero vuelvan algún día :a26:
Administrador
NotaPublicado: 14 Nov 2011, 20:38
Deseando que me llegue ya, lo pedí el lunes pasado y espero que me llegue mañana ya sin falta. Mordiendome las uñas ando ya, para mi lo mejor que nos deja este año, en lo que se refiere a un álbum completo.

Espero tenerlo para el WHTTS de esta semana, que seguro caeran Lamone, Angela o Dawn Tallman. :a26:
Imagen Imagen
Moderador
NotaPublicado: 14 Nov 2011, 20:44
Si se te pierde por el camino o no llega a tiempo, ya sabes, me das un silbidito y arreglamos esas ausencias en un decir amén :a26:
Administrador
NotaPublicado: 14 Nov 2011, 20:52
No me fastidies Iván, espero no tener que pedirtelo, que no puede tardarme ya mucho más, tiene que estar ya al caer... :a33:
Imagen Imagen
Moderador
NotaPublicado: 14 Nov 2011, 20:55
jajaja no pretendía desmotivarte, seguro que te llega a tiempo. :a26:

NotaPublicado: 21 Nov 2011, 14:53
Facilmente, album del año en su genero!!!
Administrador
NotaPublicado: 21 Nov 2011, 17:53
Sin lugar a dudas Playmaker!

Por cierto, finalmente me llego a tiempo. Las ganas que le tenía... :a37:

PD: Gracias por dejarte ver por aquí Playmaker. :a26:
Imagen Imagen

NotaPublicado: 22 Nov 2011, 14:13
despues de varias preescuchas creo que yo también voy a encargar mi copia...el We Miss You de Raul Rosario es exquisito!!!

Saludos Franzz Jazz, llevaba un tiempo desconectado por estos lares...intentaremos colaborar como buenamente podámos!!!
Siguiente

Volver a Our Soulful House Recommends